Are you trying to get the clutter out of your house? Do you have a closet full of clothes that you don’t wear anymore? Did you recently find a garage sale treasure that you can’t use but you just know that someone else would love? There is a great option for you. You can sell things on Ebay to make money. Here are some tips to get you started.
Create An Account With A Professional Sounding Username
As an Ebay user, you are going to want people to trust you. Your username is often the only clue another person has to who you are, so make yourself stand out as someone of value. Avoid cutesy nicknames, any sexual content or anything else that makes you sound unprofessional.
Your username is public. Anyone can see it, so be sure it makes the statement you want it to.
Describe Items Thoroughly And Honestly
When you list an item on Ebay you will be asked to provide a description of the item. Be as detailed as possible.
- You want to give the potential buyer the most accurate picture you can.
- Also be sure to list anything about the item that is damaged or imperfect.
- You should list the tiniest stain on a piece of clothing or even a rip or tear that has been repaired.
- As the seller, you have an obligation to disclose everything you can about the item. If you fail to do that, it can cause you to have to issue refunds and can reflect badly on your reputation.
An accurate description is essential because even a photograph can fail to show true colors and small details. However, many buyers will not even consider an item without a photo.
Use photos that you have taken of the actual item for sale rather than someone else’s photos of a similar product that you found online. Also use as many photos as you can. You are usually able to post several pictures of each product for no extra fee.
Start Low, And Skip The Reserve.
It may be tempting to place a reserve price on an item you are planning to sell, but it can be frustrating to buyers who may decide not to consider your items in the future.
If you really must get a specific amount for an item, use that as the starting price. However, you will typically attract more attention and get a better price at the end of the auction if you start your bidding at $0.99.
Have A Plan For A Negative Interactions.
Most buyers on Ebay are people who are honestly just trying to make a purchase, but you are likely to run into a few who are trying to get something for nothing or who will make your sale very difficult.
When you are contacted by someone, be sure to respond quickly and politely no matter the tone of the other person’s email. Do not engage in a war of words. If the buyer has a problem with your item or claims that the item was damaged when it arrived, decide how much effort you are willing to put into the transaction.
Remember the following points when dealing with negative interactions;
- do not start an argument over petty problems by keeping a professional tone
- sometimes it is best to bite the bullet and move on
- make your description bullet proof to avoid any unnecessary misunderstandings
- never take anything personally when dealing with customer complaints
It is sometimes worth it just to issue a refund and move on. However you might want to politely ask to see photos of the damage or ask the buyer to return the item to you. If a buyer is not happy with your transaction, the result could be bad feedback. This can be damaging to your profits, especially if you are a new seller. Try to keep the buyer happy, and after the transaction you can block anyone who has given you trouble.
Feedback is important to both buyers and sellers on Ebay. You will want happy buyers to give you positive feedback, and you should do the same for them. Provide feedback promptly, and leave a positive message.
There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there who try and sell guides and wholesale supplier lists for the purposes of online auction sites. Be very careful of these;
- they rarely give as much information as promised without extra charges
- the quality of the wholesaler or drop shit supplier may not be very good. Think about it – if you had a list of top grade suppliers – why would you sell the whole list for $9.99??
- if it seems to good to be true, it is! Every time! 🙂
It is not hard to sell things on Ebay to make money, and you will find that with experience you learn what is popular and how much you can expect to make on each item. An honest and straightforward seller is likely to succeed. You might even find yourself enjoying the experience.